Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's a Boy!

Today I am 17 weeks and 5 days pregnant. We went for our ultrasound, where it is the first time the doctors are able to determine if there are any kind of fetal abnormalities.  I went to my appointment and carried along my very own entourage (Cliff and my Mom and Dad). The appointment takes a good hour because the technician looks at every anatomical detail and takes their measurements. There appeared to be absolutely no fetal abnormalities and the measurements revealed completing normal findings...though the doctor said that he would like me to return in 4-6 weeks for a follow up to examine the heart since it is a little early yet to detect any problems at this point.   The tech. looked at the Placenta, Ovaries, Cervix to start and then moved along to measure the head and examine the face for any malformations.  Next we saw the heart and viewed the four chambers and the vessels in the chest and abdomen including renal arteries.  We got to see the arms, legs, hands, fingers feet and toes but the big question that was left unanswered until the very end was, what the sex of the baby was.  It seriously takes a very highly trained eye to make a determination of this kind because if you don't really know what to look for, you just wont see it.  Even if you think you know what to look for, you still may not see it even if it's pointed out to you with an arrow! As it turns out, the arrow was pointing to evidence that stated we were having a baby boy, with 92% accuracy! 

I am still in shock and disbelief actually.   Knowing the sex of the baby makes that much more real.  This growing baby is becoming a person who is going to live and have a life. Knowing the gender starts a to set a path and give this life a direction ahead.  From this point onward I am going to see everything through the eyes of this little baby boy.  I am already dreading the bris actually and I will probably need some sort of sedative to get me through that one! 

In other news, within the past several days I have pondering the possibilities that i am feeling some movement in there.  It is quite possible that whatever it is that I am sensing is part of the digestion process or gas pangs who can tell, but maybe it's the baby in there. It kind of feels like a quick flutter right in the center of my lower abdomen about 4-5 finger widths below my belly button.  Sometimes I don't even realize that I felt it until a second or two later and I start thinking, "What did I just feel?"  I don't sense this all the time, or every day for that matter but occasionally, usually at night if I am just sitting around or laying in bed.  So things are happening around here and it's starting to get exciting. 

We have about 15 pictures that were printed out and we have not yet scanned them so if you patients allows they will be added as soon as possible. 

1 comment:

Vicky said...

I want an update on my nephew!! is he moving around and stuff?